Friday, January 15, 2010

Reality TV is So Bad, That it's So Good

Reality TV is supposed to be real. Though, many people, including myself have removed their blinders and realized that, reality TV is actually pretty far from realistic. Knowing this, I still indulge, because let’s face it…it’s addicting. Plus, I’m not the one on national TV, getting drunk, getting laid or trying to marry Ray-J; it is some other person's son, daughter, niece, nephew, whatever, you get the point.

For our viewing pleasure, these reality “stars” choose to place themselves in our living rooms. Unless they’re naïve, concerning the media, they know that their words will be edited and spliced, their embarrassing moments will be honed on, and their morals and values will be judged; analyzed and re-articulated (in or out of context) within the media (and in turn, amongst their peers).

I can accept reality TV, because of the reasons I stated above. I understand that I am not watching real-life. I know the general population would be bored to death watching raw Jenna Pere TV, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I also know that the crap that I’m giving in to is, for the most part, scripted. Reality TV is the everlasting trend of the 2000s. Unfortunately, all trends, whether withstanding or not, attract “haters”.

Why watch reality TV? The argument always comes up, whether it in the news, around the dinner table or over a few beers. New programs (like my grandmother would say) like the Jersey Shore, stir the pot, and the cycle of analytical banter continues. I know quite a few people who are appalled by the idea of reality television. They’re so put off by it, that during discussion they behave as if the reality TV viewer is a legitimate enemy. They make it seem like every time I turn on Tough Love, a puppy is murdered. They argue that reality TV is dumb-ing down society, and creating negative role models for adolescents. (Because bad parenting within a private household can’t have the same affect?!)

More than likely, their next point is, by watching, we are feeding the egos of undeserving individuals. (Undeserving, because they have no other accomplishments then appearing on reality TV.) Of course, I agree, we are fueling these “stars” egos, but I don’t give it a negative connotation. Why not enlarge their egos? We’ve made George Clooney, Leonardo DiCaprio and Ray Romano recognizable and rich for portraying fake people for our enjoyment… why can’t we accept it, in order to do the same for a person playing themselves? Just because you or I don’t want to make money getting black-out drunk on television (the way you present yourself, is the way you will be perceived) does not mean I mind if someone else has no shame.

If you think about it, because reality TV is altered (whether right from the beginning, or in the editing room) we’re simply watching a drama. Though, it’s not over-dramatic like soap operas, anything on ABC Family or Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Perhaps people find it more irritating because the situations displayed within reality TV attempt to mimic real life. And let’s face it, drama in real life is terribly annoying, energy-draining and time consuming.

Regardless, Reality TV “haters” also have to recognize this… Shows like the Jersey Shore, or the Real World cannot be scripted (take this lightly; I know there are discrepancies within that statement). Episodes have climaxes because they’re edited to, but the drama ensues because they have been positioned that way. Production companies work with the networks and sift through thousands of applications from individuals, vying for their fifteen minutes of fame. These shows are merely human, behavioral experiments. The persons chosen are positioned purposely, and painstakingly to guarantee maximum entertainment a.k.a drama. Based on personality (attitude, openness, and attractiveness etc.), child hood trauma, financial status, political views and without a doubt “view-ability” the conflicts can be assumed.

In a nut shell: The boys from the Jersey Shore are ignorant. The Bad Girls Club hosts girls that are trashy beyond trashy. The Real World kids are embarrassing their parents. Anyone cast on any looking for love shows make themselves seem terribly pathetic. And I love every minute of it.

4 comments:

  1. This was a waste of my time, you don't actually say anything but when you do, you contradict yourself. Put a little more thought into your next post and EDIT it before you post it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot I was being graded on this. I'm sorry it wasn't more "thoughtful".

    Can you send me a link to your blog?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually thought it was pretty well written, and share similar opinion about reality tv... I didn't see what that anonymous person was talking about with the contradictions, but "you don't actually say anything but when you do..." is a contradiction so maybe he/she should put some more thought into no being a hypocrit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think maybe he or she shoulod choke and die...jaybird all the wayyy!

    ReplyDelete